Today I decided to enjoy the gorgeous 70 degree weather. Upon reaching my park bench where I would soon be feasting on my delicious subway sandwich I saw a pantyhoe. That means just one side of a pantyhose. I was a lot grossed out and wasn't sure I would be able to feast; however, worry soon overwhelmed the gag reflex when I realized that there was a woman ( or man) walking ( or running) through Georgetown with only one pantyhoe. Although it may seem like this story is about a pantyhoe- it is not. I have a different story about a girl, a train ride, and a pleasant place called Winston Salem. Not the " Salem" where they like to hang witches but the WINSTON " Salem" .
I'm Mara. I'm a girl. A girl that took a train to Winston Salem. I'm the girl in the story. We will call the train Hogwarts Express (HE, for short ). I choose HE because I'm sure the chocolate " candy frogs" would have come to life if i let them thaw out and there were DEFINITELY surprise flavors of the so-called jelly beans. Also, at one in the morning on a train that was delayed for two hours, I could bet my life savings( if your life savings was as much as mine, you would understand better why I'm willing to part with it) that some of the ladies on the train were Dementors.I get the shivers just thinking about it. Aside from the food and the Dementors on the train, my experience was rather eye-opening; not literally, I slept for half the time.
Members of the human race are funny. Friday night as i waited for the train that was scheduled to be on time, i was surrounded by my future train friends. Each was engulfed in their own trivia such as sudoku, crosswords or listening to music. It seemed as though no one noticed each other. After about two hours of waiting, my future friends started realizing that they weren't the only ones waiting for the train- there were 300 others just like them! Soon after, people started congregating in small groups with their new acquaintances. What had begun with an irritated question , " Can you believe this?!" turned into a conversation of past volunteer trips to India.So I say, the human race is funny to me because I think most people WANT to converse with their surrounding neighbors but its the unknown that stops them; not knowing how the other will react or think of their random confrontation.
I really adored my time in the south. I have always said that I could live in the city or the country, not so- I prefer the suburban country , if there is such a thing. I like how the country makes you appreciate the people you know and the people you are with. Something about the atmosphere that is calming. I had one of the best weekends since I have been here on my internship this past weekend. Not necessarily because of the things I did, but because of the people I was with. I had a lot of time to think- It made me miss my friends. I miss Conor because he is good people. If he doesn't like you, he won't try to fake it and pretend like he does. If he does like you- you're in for a treat because even though he does stupid things sometimes he will always be there for you and be one of the best friends you could ask for. I miss Sara because she is like a sister to me.I really like the comfort we have around each other, like making up songs that don't sound good ( she will tell you if it doesn't sound good)or just sitting in silence kinda thinking our own things. You know you're good friends when you don't get uncomfortable with the silence. I miss Ro because she makes me laugh so hard. I mean really really laugh. Not that she is hilarious or funny looking but something radiates off of her that just makes you feel this immense desire to laugh. I miss Aubrey because she is crazy as you know what. We will go for weeks without talking and months without seeing each other but every time , I'm just taken right back to the high school days and I like that. She is a friend that, although you may not talk for awhile, you know she will be around forever. I miss Tom. What more do I need to say. haha I miss Tom because he makes me want to be a better person. He has one of the best hearts. I miss having someone to be spontaneous with and just go for adventure.I miss my family. They are my BEST friends. Every single one of them. My life is good and I love it.
you should take a picture of YOUR park bench mara... it would please me to know what it looks like since you OWN it. you should decorate it someday haha how cool would that be? you'd totally start a trend and everyone would want to sit by you on YOUR park bench and it might be different than those funny "non-talker muggles" on the train. perhaps they forgot to run through platform 9 3/4.
ReplyDeleteYOU?!!!
ReplyDeletewho knew. please blog forever. and i will read forever. you make me laugh. thanks for coming up north this weekend. it was great. oh, and i decided i'm not reading twilight.
wuthering heights most definately. lOve. you.
Oh i miss TOm too!!
ReplyDeleteKB