Growing up, I was taught never to start a sentence with a conjunction and told to refrain from using object pronouns in an essay. It is one of the most refreshing things to me, to begin a sentence with an object pronoun. To me, it says that I am in charge of the writing; it says that I am not writing to appease the rules of writing but rather, the writing is appeasing me. And that’s why I write. Some people write to explore. Some people write to gossip. Some people write for relief and escape. Some people write to entertain. I write because it makes me happy. I write so that I can depict the little things that people choose not to see. People see a dog breathing hard from a strenuous walk; I see the dog smiling, because for that 20 or 30 minutes, he is experiencing everything that he saw from the inside earlier that day. People see a beautiful girl or striking man walk by; I see the reaction of each turned head. People see a penny on the street in downtown D.C.; I see a wish waiting to be made. You don’t look at a person who is smiling, well-dressed and surrounded by friends and think to yourself, “I bet they suffer from depression”. Same as if you received poor customer service from a grumpy employee at the bank you don’t think “I bet that person has got it all”; whereas if you had gone in just one more time, you would see that they are the friendliest and happiest person: someone who exudes cheerfulness. Everyone has a story and it is my desire to hear them. You only have one chance to make a first impression, but a million chances to change it.
You are awesome, creative, funny, tuned in, clever (or is it cleaver?), and really aware of cool details of our world and its people. Don't change the impression you've made on a bunch of us!
ReplyDelete